The following stipulations apply to elective-based PLATO online course enrollment:
- Only students in grades 10-12 are eligible to take elective-based online courses.
- The student must be in good standing in terms of academics, behavior, and attendance and demonstrate fit for the rigorous, independent demands of an online learning environment.
- All prerequisites must be met in order to take the course.
- For online elective courses, the student must select from approved courses where there is no equivalent Staples course.
- An approved PLATO course may count toward the six required courses each semester for a student to be considered fully enrolled.
- Online elective course enrollment cannot exceed 1.0 credit per school year.
- Online elective courses are semester classes. Students are expected to complete the coursework within the semester they are enrolled.
- Online elective courses may be used to fulfill additional credit requirements only, not to fulfill specific subject area graduation requirements.
- The average time commitment per class is approximately 90 hours.
Students may enroll in an elective-based online class by the 30th school day of the beginning of the semester with the expectation that the course will be complete by the end of that semester.
In accordance with the Staples High School course withdrawal procedure, students may drop the course within 30 days from the date of enrollment without record, and have the course removed from the transcript.