The following stipulations apply to elective-based PLATO online course enrollment:
- Only students in grades 10-12 are eligible to take elective-based online courses.
- The student must be in good standing in terms of academics, behavior, and attendance and demonstrate fit for the rigorous, independent demands of an online learning environment.
- All prerequisites must be met in order to take the course.
- For online elective courses, the student must select from approved courses where there is no equivalent Staples course.
- An approved PLATO course may count toward the six required courses each semester for a student to be considered fully enrolled.
- Online elective course enrollment cannot exceed 1.0 credit per school year.
- Online elective courses are semester classes. Students are expected to complete the coursework within the semester they are enrolled.
- Online elective courses may be used to fulfill elective credit requirements only, not to fulfill specific subject area graduation requirements.
- The average time commitment per class is approximately 90 hours.
Students engaging in PLATO courses for elective purposes should be taking the course with the intent of new learning that is not offered by Staples HS. If a student is enrolled in a course that then indicates a strong prior knowledge, the student will not be eligible for course credit. Prior knowledge will be determined by the amount of exemptions a student has in a module based on the pretest assessment. If a student is exempt from 30% or more of the class material, it will be considered ineligible for credit.