The Westport Public Schools and Staples Guidance Office will be closed until further notice due to community health concerns. We will, however, continue to provide resources and services remotely as best we can in order to support our students, families, and other stakeholders. If you have a question or concern, follow this link to a google form and a member of our staff will respond as soon as we are able. As always, in the case of a true emergency or risk to someone's safety, you must call 211 or 911.
Be well & stay healthy. Together, we'll get through this challenging time.
Staples Guidance Department
College and Career Center
The College and Career Center is a resource for students and families to assist with post-high school planning. It is located adjacent to the Guidance Office and is open school days from 7:30 am-2:15 pm.
Ms. Sandra Zeigler
College & Career Center Coordinator
College Representative Visits
Each year, approximately 200 colleges hold information sessions at Staples for interested students.
- Students: Check Naviance for upcoming visit information. Download a pass to attend a college visit.
- College representatives: Please visit RepVisits to schedule an appointment with our high school.
College and Career Center Programs
- Freshmen explore personality type and its application to future careers using "Do What you Are."
- Sophomores discover career options which match interest areas using "Career Interest Profiler" and learn how to create an effective resume.
- Juniors are instructed on how to research colleges and understand admission statistics including scattergrams and other features in Naviance.
- Juniors and seniors are offered workshops on the college essay, college interview, completing the Common Application and Coalition Application, and financial aid and scholarships.
- Guest speakers from various career fields and technical schools meet with students in all grades.
- Student Ambassadors is a service organization for juniors and seniors. Student Ambassadors greet guests and college representatives, assist with school events, participate in 8th grade orientation programs, and host new students. Applications are available each spring.
Resources for Students
- Computers, college guidebooks, and numerous reference books are available for students to access.
- The Job Bank is a list of employment and community service opportunities for Staples students.
- Working Papers are issued for employment within the state of Connecticut.
- Scholarships applications are available in the College and Career Center. For a more complete list of local scholarship opportunities for which Staples students can apply, check Naviance.