How to Request a Transcript
Please note: the process below is only for students who currently attend Staples and are requesting their transcript for the purpose of applying to college. If you graduated from or previously attended Staples or are applying to private high schools or summer programs, click here.
In order to have your transcript and recommendations sent to colleges, complete the steps below. The initial request must be submitted at least four weeks prior to your first college application deadline. For regular decision applications with a deadline January 1 or later, we urge students to wait and submit requests in December, closer to the time of application.
Step 1: FERPA RELEASE AUTHORIZATION AND WAIVER (SCOIR AND COMMON APPLICATION)
1. Create or log into your Common Application account.
2. In the Education section, select Staples as your current school.
3. Add at least one college to your "My Colleges" list.
4. In "My Colleges," under any one college’s section, click on "Recommenders and FERPA" on the left of the page, then the blue underlined "release authorization" link in the center of the page under the FERPA heading. This will lead you through a series of questions to answer. Colleges prefer that you waive your right to access so that more credibility is given to the letters of recommendation.
5. Sign the FERPA Release Authorization and Waiver in Scoir. If the student is under 18 years-old, the student's parent/guardian will log into their parent Scoir account to sign the Release Authorization and Waiver. If the student is 18 years-old, they will sign the Release Authorization and Waiver themselves through their own Scoir student account.
If you have questions about how to respond, contact your school counselor.
STEP 2: COUNSELOR RECOMMENDATION QUESTIONNAIRES
Information in this questionnaire will be used by your school counselor in writing your recommendation. Complete as a Google Doc, and share it with your school counselor before or during your meeting to request transcripts and recommendations.
Information in this questionnaire will be used by your child's school counselor in writing their recommendation. Complete as a Google Doc, and share it with your child's school counselor prior to their meeting to request transcripts and recommendations.
Step 3: Student Resume/ACTIVITY LIST
Students must share their resume or a PDF copy of their Common Application activity list with their school counselor before or during the meeting to request transcripts and recommendations. Include any clubs, extracurricular activities, arts, athletics, jobs, volunteer work, summer experiences, and awards or accomplishments.
Step 4: College List Form
The College List Form must be completed by the student in its entirety in Google Docs prior to your meeting to request transcripts and recommendations. All of the colleges requested must be listed on your Scoir "Applying" list. If you are applying to a Common Application college, it must be listed on your Common Application "My Colleges" list.
For your initial request, have this form completed in Google Docs and ready to submit electronically during your meeting with your school counselor. For an additional request, complete a new form and list only the additional colleges, not those already requested, and visit the School Counseling Department Office during the lunch waves to submit your request.
Step 5: Student schedules an appointment with their school counselor to request transcript and recommendations
During your transcript/recommendation request meeting, your school counselor will confirm that all steps have been completed, "acknowledge" in Scoir the colleges you're applying to, and assist you with requesting your teacher recommendations.
For an initial request, the meeting with your school counselor must be held at least four weeks prior to your first application deadline.
Additional Transcript/Recommendation Requests
- Complete a new College List Form listing ONLY the additional colleges, NOT those already requested. Make sure all of the additional colleges are listed on your Scoir "Applying" list and, if applicable, Common Application "My Colleges."
- To submit your request, go to the School Counseling Department Office, with your computer or phone available, during the lunch waves only (no appointment is necessary). You will share your College List Form electronically (not as a paper copy) in person with Mrs. Fugitt.
- Teacher recommendations are sent through the School Counseling Department as part of this request; you do not need to ask your teachers again for recommendations.
- Additional requests must be made at least one week prior to the application deadline.
Important Additional Information
- Standardized test scores, if required by the college, must be requested to be sent by the student directly through College Board/ACT or self-reported on the application. Staples does not send test scores.
- First quarter grades, if required or requested by the college, will be sent on the report card separate from the transcript. Instructions for requesting first quarter grades will be provided to seniors near the end of the quarter.
- It is the policy of the Staples School Counseling Department that mid-year grades will be sent to all colleges for which you have already completed a transcript request, whether or not they are required by the college. Mid-year grades will be sent automatically; no additional request is necessary.
- After the completion of the school year, a final transcript will be sent automatically to the college you have indicated you will attend.