PTA News and Announcements
SHS WEEKLY PLANNER 9/17/18
Board of Education meeting
No School - Yom Kippur
9:30 - 10:30 am
SPED Sip ‘n Chat
7:00 - 9:00 pm
SHS College Financial Aid Application Night
PTA Coffee with Principal D’Amico
Faculty Dining Room
All three lunch waves
Student Essay Writing Workshop
College & Career Center
In this week’s planner…
- Weekly Planner Schedule moving to Tuesday morning
- Join the SHS PTA
- SHS PTA Coffee with the Principal
- Senior Internship program
- PSAT/NMSQT Info
- SPED News
- Staples Wind Ensemble
- College and Career Center
- Attention: Parents of Seniors
- Board of Education
Weekly Planner Timing Change
Starting next week, the SHS PTA Weekly Planner will be published on Tuesday mornings. Thank you for your continued attention to our communication.
Join the SHS PTA!
Kick off the new school year with us! PTA Membership registration is open. Click HERE to join. The REGISTRATION CODE IS westport.
The imprint of the PTA is all over Staples High School. We fund building improvements, educational & recreational equipment, grants to teachers, and host many events throughout the year to benefit our school communities. Your membership includes access to the online school directory. Please join today!
- All SHS parent volunteers must be PTA members. Please be sure to sign up to stay involved and support the SHS community.
- Families with children in multiple schools must join the PTA at each school which their child is registered.
- Information contained in this directory is for the personal use of PTA members. Please respect the privacy of our fellow parents and do not distribute their personal information contained in the directory to third parties, including outside businesses. Doing so is a violation of the user agreement and PTA policies.
- Another email is headed your way regarding the SHS Food Drive for the Westport Women’s Club Food Closet. Please consider a food donation for this worthy cause.
PTA Coffee with the Principal
Please join us for our first general PTA meeting and enjoy coffee with Mr D'Amico on Friday September 21 at 9am in the Faculty Dining Room.
There are new security regulations at SHS this year and each attending parent will need a badge. To expedite the process, you can RSVP by clicking HERE to send a quick email with your name, your child’s name, and their grade year in order to reserve a badge that will be available at the front desk when you check in. Please RSVP if you are planning to attend.
Senior Internship Program
Senior Internships are a highly anticipated part of senior year and one of the highlights. Click HERE to find out more about the program and visit our homepage
Interested in hosting a Staples Senior Intern at your business or know someone who is? We are always looking for new sites to add to our list for the Spring of 2019. Please click HERE to email the internship office, Michelle Howard and Denise Pearl at. Click HERE for more information on hosting.
PSAT/NMSQT Info (attention Parents of Juniors)
PSAT/NMSQT is October 13th at 7.30 am. Tickets are available to Juniors only and will be on sale in the guidance department all three lunch waves from September 20th - October 1st.
Join us on Thursday, September 20th from 9.30-10.30am to chat and exchange ideas with other special-ed parents. We meet at Panera Bread (next to Home Goods).
Need some Wreckerwear?
Show your back-to-school spirit and support the PTA by purchasing Staples Wreckerwear! Click HERE or just go to shopasf.com and put “wreckerwear” in the search bar to find an assortment of Staples logowear.
Announcing the New Staples Wind Ensemble
Staples Music is offering a new group starting this fall - the Staples Wind Ensemble. Conducted by Mr Scavone (PreK-12 Music Coordinator), this no-audition group is open to SHS students who are enrolled in band, orchestra or chorus. Rehearsals will take place on Mondays, 5-7pm beginning September 17.
For more information or questions, contact Mr. Scavone at email@example.com.
Sign up now via this link!!
College and Career Center information
SENIOR GUIDANCE PRESENTATION
School counselors will be visiting all senior English classes September 11-14 to present essential information about the post-high school planning process and applying to college, including requesting transcripts and recommendations.
NINTH GRADE PARENT GUIDANCE PRESENTATION
The Ninth Grade Parent Guidance Presentation will be held on Thursday September 13 from 8.30-10am in the Staples cafeteria. During this program, school counselors will provide introductory information about Staples, including such topics as finding your people, supporting your child’s academics, managing technology use, fostering resilience, involvement in co-curricular activities, and insight into the adolescent brain.
SENIOR PARENT GUIDANCE PRESENTATION
The Senior Parent Guidance Presentation will be held on Friday, September 14 from 8:30-10am in the Staples cafeteria. Guidance Department staff will present essential information about the post-high school planning process and applying to college, including requesting transcripts and recommendations.
FINANCIAL AID APPLICATION NIGHT
Financial aid night will be held on Thursday, September 20 from 7-8.30pm in the Staples auditorium. Julie Savino, Executive Director of Financial Assistance at Sacred Heart University, will present to students and families about the sources and types of financial aid, application process, determining eligibility, and useful tips and tools.
The Guidance Department will begin accepting transcript requests for Seniors on Monday, September 17.
GUIDANCE DEPARTMENT COMMON APPLICATION WORKSHOP
The Guidance Department will be offering a Common Application/Coalition Application Workshop for Seniors on Friday, September 21 during all three lunch waves in the College and Career Center. Please come for valuable information and answers to your questions about the Common Application as well as the Coalition Application. Be sure to bring your computer. This meeting is for senior students only.
Class of 2019
SENIOR PORTRAIT DEADLINE: DECEMBER 14
PORTRAIT SELECTION DEADLINE: JANUARY 14
- Seniors have special portraits taken for the yearbook. Prestige Portraits by Lifetouch is our official photographer. Prestige mails a pre-assigned portrait sitting time at the end of junior year with sittings beginning in May. If you cannot make the appointment, you must reschedule your sitting by clicking HERE or call Prestige at 1-800-426-9533. You cannot have a photo taken without an appointment. Only senior portraits taken by Prestige are allowed to be used in the senior section of the yearbook (no school ID photos, no home photos, no other professional portraits, etc). Once you receive your portrait proofs, approximately 2 weeks after your photo session, please choose a vertical pose for your yearbook submission...a blue background is preferred (no props, expressive gestures, animals, etc. allowed). Contact Prestige with your Proof #. You are under no obligation to purchase portrait packages. If you do not have a photo taken by Prestige by the last available appoinment (Dec 14), you will NOT be pictured in the Senior Portrait section of the Yearbook.
NOTE: LAST DAYS TO HAVE YOUR PORTRAIT TAKEN AND BE INCLUDED IN THE YEARBOOK!
Photographers will be available in front of the SHS AUDITORIUM on the following dates:
- SEPTEMBER 17-18, 20: 2PM-8PM
- OCTOBER 12-13: 2PM-8PM
SENIOR ADS DEADLINE: OCTOBER 22
Click HERE to purchase an ad go to and click the "Buy a Yearbook Ad" link. Due to a limited number of pages available, ads are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis, with a limit of 1/2 page per family. Groups of seniors may buy additional "friends" ads. No late ads will be accepted.
SENIOR BABY PICTURES DEADLINE: OCTOBER 22
Senior Baby Pictures: deadline Oct 22. Baby pictures submitted are from infant to Kindergarten age. Click HERE to submit a baby picture.
The Principal Tweets
Did you know our Principal, James D’Amico, is on twitter? For updates follow @StaplesMrD.
Subscribe to Inklings
Stay in the know about news at Staples High School, Westport and beyond. Click HERE and complete the online form to subscribe to Inklings, Staples High School's award winning and student run newspaper.
Board of Education
The next regular BOE meeting will be held at the SHS Cafeteria on Monday, September 17th at 7.30pm. Click HERE for this evening's agenda. The meeting can also be viewed live on Channel 78 or via computer on the district's website or by clicking here: BOE Meeting Live Stream
Community Bulletin Board Information - click HERE.
Tom Holleman and Netta Levy
SHS PTA Co-Presidents