PTA News and Announcements
In this weekly:
· Important Information From Guidance and the College & Career Center
· Staples Music Presents ‘Music of China’ at 2020 Westport Youth Concert
· Upcoming Parent Event - How to Raise an Adult
· Diversity and Inclusivity in the Westport Schools
· Special Education Sip n’ Chats Upcoming Meetings
· Staples Tuition Grants: Get to Know Us
· New Staples logo wear-WINTER ITEMS ADDED
· Board of Education
Important Info from Guidance and College & Career Center
Connections serves as an intentional time to: communicate school-related information, foster meaningful connections between students and staff members, and create a safe environment where students feel comfortable to hold open discussions throughout their Staples career. February’s Connections theme is Balance. Here is a link to our newsletter sent to students for the week of February 3.
2020-21 Course Selection
Teachers’ course recommendations for next school year can be viewed through PowerSchool as of 4:00 p.m. this afternoon. By February 14, all grades 9-11 students must pre-register through PowerSchool for the courses they wish to take. If students have questions, they can stop by the College and Career Center any day during the lunch waves where school counselors will be available for support, or reach out to their school counselor directly. All students must then meet individually with their school counselor throughout the rest of February and March according to following schedule:
Current Freshmen: Monday, February 24 - Friday, February 28
Current Sophomores: Monday, March 9 - Friday, March 13
Current Juniors: Monday, March 2 - Friday, March 6
Friday, March 27 is the deadline for all changes to course requests and to override a teacher’s recommendation. For more information, including a step-by-step video and written instructions to follow, see the email sent through School Messenger from Mr. Thomas or visit the SHS Guidance website.
Free Practice SAT exam
Saturday, February 22 from 9:30am - 1:30pm in the Fairfield Public Library.
Take a full-length practice test under timed conditions. A proctored practice exam will help you build testing endurance and give you a real-time snapshot of your testing performance. There is no cost to participate. To register visit: https://www.revolutionprep.com/partners/138297 or contact Michelle Sullivan at 860.924.7334 or Michelle.Sullivan@revolutionprep.com
Scholarship Workshop For Seniors
Thursday, February 6 during all three lunch waves in the College and Career Center.
Come find out more about local and regional scholarships, learn how to search for scholarships, and get help with applications.
Applications for the following local scholarships are now being accepted:
· Staples Tuition Grants provides tuition assistance to Staples High School seniors with demonstrated financial need. Deadline for applications is March 8, 2020. For more information or to apply: www.staplestuitiongrants.org/
· Westport Woman’s Club offers scholarships to Staples High School seniors who demonstrate financial need and participation in their community or school. Deadline for applications is March 20, 2020. Find the application on the scholarships page of the SHS Guidance website.
· The Westport Police Athletic League is proud to provide college scholarships to seniors at Staples High School who demonstrate outstanding citizenship and contribution to the school community. Deadline for applications is March 31, 2020. Find the application on the scholarships page of the SHS Guidance website.
· Fairfield County Community Foundation offers the following scholarships to Staples High School Seniors:
1. Excellence in Education Scholarship - $1,500: based on academic achievement, financial need, demonstrated leadership, and extracurricular activities, including community service.
2. Charles A. Dana Cultural Scholarship - $1,000: based on academic achievement, school and community leadership, financial need, and a commitment to pursuing an academic curriculum at the college level in some area of the arts.
3. Frederick A. DeLuca Scholarship - $2,000 (renewable): based on academic achievement (GPA 3.0 or higher), financial need, participation in extracurricular activities and employment while attending school.
Deadline: Friday, March 20. 2020. Find the application on the scholarships page of the SHS Guidance website.
Staples Music Presents ‘Music of China’ at the 2020 Westport Youth Concert
The Westport Youth Community Concert returns in 2020 on Feb. 4, at 7pm in the SHS Auditorium. This year's concert theme, Music of China, features Staples High School musicians, the award-winning Middle School Percussion Ensemble and special guest artists from the New York Chinese Cultural Center. In-school educational performances for Westport Schools grades 3-6 will take place Feb. 4 & Feb. 6.
The Westport Youth Concert began as an opportunity to enrich Westport students global awareness by building their understanding of diversity and the uniqueness of global cultures. The concert has evolved into a cross-curricular, collaborative event involving not only music, but Westport Schools’ Visual Art and World Language departments. Outside organizations such as the Westport Library, WestPAC and PTA Cultural Art have become community partners in the initiative.
All are invited to this special public event, no ticket required, free of charge. For more information about the concert and Staples Music go to staplesmusic.org.
“How To Raise An Adult” Parent Event - Feb. 4th or 5th!
Join us for an engaging Parent/Community book topic discussion based on the popular, pivotal New York Times Best Seller that has sparked a “parent movement” with book discussions and community conversations across the country and in Fairfield County.
HOW TO RAISE AN ADULT: BREAK FREE OF THE OVERPARENTING TRAP
AND PREPARE YOUR KID FOR SUCCESS
By author Julie Lythcott-Haims, the former dean of freshman at Stanford University, researcher and mother
TED Talk Screening & Book Topic Discussion with Tracey Masella, LCSW from Silver Hill Hospital
This event will be offered TWICE to accommodate parents’ schedules:
Tuesday, February 4, 9:30-11 AM, The Westport Library, The Forum
Wednesday, February 5, 7-8:30 PM, The Westport Library, The Forum
-Open to ALL PARENTS of toddlers to teens, PreK to 12th graders
-Reading the book ahead of time is not required to attend
-Book sales at events, borrow (print and digital) from The Westport Library or buy online, in advance
FLYER LINK: HOW TO RAISE AN ADULT FLYER
PLEASE REGISTER: Howtoraisewestport.Eventbrite.com (recommended, but not required)
For questions, please contact PTA Council Co-Chairs, Health, Wellness Advisory Committee: Allison Keisman: email@example.com & Adrienne Tober: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity and Inclusivity in the Westport Schools
When: Feb 11, 2020 from 7 to 8:30 PM
Where: Westport Public Library - Room 210
What: Please join us for a conversation facilitated by members of TEAM Westport to discuss thoughts and ideas regarding practices of diversity and inclusivity in our Westport schools.
Special Education Sip n’ Chats Upcoming Meetings
2/12/20, 9:30 AM, Westport Library, Room 210
2/26/20, 6:30 PM, Westport Library
3/18/20, Location TBD
4/15/20, Location TBD
6/10/20, Location TBD
Staples Tuition Grants: Get To Know Us!
"Without your generous donation and help towards me and my family, my future might be more gray and unforeseeable... Your donation is something that has a huge effect now on my life because this is opening a whole new door toward my future."
With SHS PTA’s initial gift of $100 back in 1943, Staples Tuition Grants (STG) was born. Ever since, STG has been a Staples community tradition of families helping families with college tuition. Last year 104 Staples graduates with demonstrated financial need received grants totaling $308,000.
Our application is now live. Students applying should visit our website https://www.staplestuitiongrants.org/ Application deadline is March 8, 2020
Donations can be made to STG’s Westport Families Scholarship Award, which was established by our town’s PTAs, by clicking HERE or by mailing a check to Staples Tuition Grants, P.O. Box 5159, Westport, CT 06881.
Please think of STG when recognizing a special teacher, school counselor, or staff member at any time throughout the year.
NEW Staples Logowear - WINTER ITEMS!
Check out the new Winter Logowear items now available! Keep toasty warm with hats, scarves, gloves, fuzzy headbands, fleeces & more.
Staples Wreckerwear Winter 2019
Board of Education
The next BOE meeting will be held at the SHS Cafeteria Monday, February 10th at 7:30 pm. Click HERE for the meeting agendas. This meeting can also be viewed live on channel 78 or via computer on the district’s website or by clicking here: BOE Meeting Live Stream
Community Bulletin Board Information - click HERE.
Netta Levy (Beebe) and Claudia Shaum
Staples High School PTA Co-Presidents