PTA News and Announcements
SHS WEEKLY PLANNER 9/25/18
All three lunch waves
Student Essay Writing Workshop
College & Career Center
Freshmen Parents Coffee with the Principal
Staff Dining Room
In this week’s planner…
- Welcome CMS 8th Graders
- Please Join the SHS PTA
- Freshman Parents Coffee
- Senior Internship program
- PSAT/NMSQT Info
- Hwa Chong Exchange Program
- College and Career Center
- Attention: Parents of Seniors
- Crutches Needed
- Board of Education
Welcome CMS 8th Graders
Welcome to all the CMS 8th grade students! Please help us welcome them and make them feel at home during this important transition.
Join the SHS PTA!
Kick off the new school year with us! PTA Membership registration is open. Click HERE to join. The REGISTRATION CODE IS westport.
The imprint of the PTA is all over Staples High School. Together, we fund building improvements, educational and recreational equipment, grants to teachers as well as host many events throughout the year to benefit our school communities. Your membership includes access to the online school directory. Please join today!
- All SHS parent volunteers must be PTA members. Please be sure to sign up to stay involved and support the SHS community.
- Families with children in multiple schools must join the PTA at each school which their child is registered.
- Information contained in this directory is for the personal use of PTA members. Please respect the privacy of our fellow parents and do not distribute their personal information contained in the directory to third parties, including outside businesses. Doing so is a violation of the user agreement and PTA policies.
- Another email is headed your way regarding the SHS Food Drive for the Westport Women’s Club Food Closet. Please consider a food donation for this worthy cause.
Class of 2022 - Parent Coffee
The Guidance Department will hold a FRESHMAN PARENT COFFEE on Friday October 5th at 9am in the Staples Faculty Dining Room. School counselors will present pertinent information regarding the freshman year.
Senior Internship Program
Senior Internships are a highly anticipated part of senior year and one of the highlights. Click HERE to find out more about the program and visit our homepage
Interested in hosting a Staples Senior Intern at your business or know someone who is? We are always looking for new sites to add to our list for the Spring of 2019. Please click HERE to email Michelle Howard and Denise Pearl at the internship office. Click HERE for more information on hosting.
PSAT/NMSQT Info (attention Parents of Juniors)
PSAT/NMSQT is October 13th at 7.30 am. Tickets are available to Juniors only and will be on sale in the guidance department all three lunch waves from September 20th - October 1st. Tickets will cost $50 and can be purchased with cash or a cheque made out to Staples High School with "PSAT/NMSQT" written on the memo line.
Staples-Hwa Chong Exchange Program 2018
November 26-December 7, 2018: Staples High School is proud to once again host exchange students (17 sophomore boys) from The Hwa Chong Institution in Singapore.
Please consider becoming a host family. As a host family, you need to be available to provide transportation, meals (primarily breakfast/dinner), accommodation in your home, and be willing to expose the students to local social and cultural opportunities.
Please take a look at the video from a previous exchange program for an overview of the program:
For more information or to volunteer, please contact the World Languages Coordinator, Maria Zachery at 203.341.5131 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for considering this wonderful opportunity.
Need some Wreckerwear?
Show your back-to-school spirit and support the PTA by purchasing Staples Wreckerwear! Click HERE or just go to shopasf.com and put “wreckerwear” in the search bar to find an assortment of Staples logowear.
College and Career Center information
The Guidance Department will begin accepting transcript requests for Seniors on Monday, September 17.
ESSAY WRITING WORKSHOP
A local college admissions counselor will be holding an Essay Writing Workshop for Seniors on Friday September 28th during all three lunch waves in the College & Career Centre. In this workshop, Seniors will get an overview of the college essay, hear about what admissions counselors look for when reading an essay and also have the opportunity to ask questions.
Class of 2019
SENIOR PORTRAIT DEADLINE: DECEMBER 14
PORTRAIT SELECTION DEADLINE: JANUARY 14
- Seniors have special portraits taken for the yearbook. Prestige Portraits by Lifetouch is our official photographer. Prestige mails a pre-assigned portrait sitting time at the end of junior year with sittings beginning in May. If you cannot make the appointment, you must reschedule your sitting by clicking HERE or call Prestige at 1-800-426-9533. You cannot have a photo taken without an appointment. Only senior portraits taken by Prestige are allowed to be used in the senior section of the yearbook (no school ID photos, no home photos, no other professional portraits, etc). Once you receive your portrait proofs, approximately 2 weeks after your photo session, please choose a vertical pose for your yearbook submission...a blue background is preferred (no props, expressive gestures, animals, etc. allowed). Contact Prestige with your Proof #. You are under no obligation to purchase portrait packages. If you do not have a photo taken by Prestige by the last available appoinment (Dec 14), you will NOT be pictured in the Senior Portrait section of the Yearbook.
NOTE: LAST DAYS TO HAVE YOUR PORTRAIT TAKEN AND BE INCLUDED IN THE YEARBOOK!
Photographers will be available in front of the SHS AUDITORIUM on OCTOBER 12-13 between 2-8PM
SENIOR ADS DEADLINE: OCTOBER 22
Click HERE to purchase an ad go to and click the "Buy a Yearbook Ad" link. Due to a limited number of pages available, ads are sold on a first-come, first-serve basis, with a limit of 1/2 page per family. Groups of seniors may buy additional "friends" ads. No late ads will be accepted.
SENIOR BABY PICTURES DEADLINE: OCTOBER 22
Senior Baby Pictures: deadline Oct 22. Baby pictures submitted are from infant to Kindergarten age. Click HERE to submit a baby picture.
Subscribe to Inklings
Stay in the know about news at Staples High School, Westport and beyond. Click HERE and complete the online form to subscribe to Inklings, Staples High School's award-winning and student-run newspaper.
If there are any families who have crutches at home and would like to donate them to Staples Athletic Training, we will gladly accept them! Please bring them to the front desk. Thank you!
Board of Education
The next regular BOE meeting will be held at the SHS Cafeteria on Monday, October 1st at 7.30pm. The session will also be streamed live on Channel 78 or via computer on the district's website or by clicking here: BOE Meeting Live Stream
Community Bulletin Board Information - click HERE.
Tom Holleman and Netta Levy
SHS PTA Co-Presidents